Pet Emergency Symptoms & Instructions

Contact us at Emergency Veterinary Services of Lisle immediately if you suspect your pet is experiencing an emergency. Animals are very good at hiding the problem when something is wrong; if you are at all concerned that your pet is experiencing an emergency then call us right away at (630) 960-2900. We can discuss the situation, help determine if your pet needs to be seen, and then prepare for your arrival. Have a friend or family member assist you if you are unable to get to the phone.

What Might Indicate an Emergency?

  • Persistent vomiting or diarrhea
  • Lethargy
  • Pale gums, tongue or skin
  • Persistent coughing or sneezing
  • Bleeding
  • Prolonged labor
  • Seizure
  • Straining to urinate or defecate
  • Blood in urine, stool or vomit
  • Rapid or labored breathing
  • Lack of appetite
  • Sudden, severe limping or pain
  • Difficulty standing or collapsing
  • Acute injury/trauma
  • Rapid weight loss
  • Ingestion of inappropriate medications
  • Ingestion of indigestible objects
  • Ingestion of rodent poison, chocolate, antifreeze, or any other toxin
  • Any other sudden change in your pet that is abnormal
colored-bars
Pet Emergency Care in Lisle

When Your Pet Ingests a Toxin

Many foods harmless to humans are toxic to pets. Additionally, only small amounts of some household substances can prove harmful to cats and dogs. Call us if you ever suspect your pet has consumed something they shouldn't have. We can let you know whether you need to worry about what your pet ingested.  Sometimes we may need you to contact the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Hotline to assist.

Some of the more common toxins that are the most dangerous to pets include the following:

  • Chocolate is toxic to both cats and dogs.
  • Xylitol, an artificial sweetener commonly found in gum, is toxic to cats and dogs.
  • Onions, garlic and chives are especially toxic to cats but pose a threat to dogs as well.
  • Caffeine contains the same ingredient that makes chocolate toxic.
  • Grapes, raisins and prunes are specifically toxic to dogs.
  • Macadamia nuts can be toxic to dogs as well.
  • Rodent/Mouse poison of any kind.
  • Antifreeze is highly toxic to dogs and cats.
  • Lilies are very dangerous for cats.

What to Do if Your Pet is Injured

Always remember, even the most gentle animal that is in pain could instinctively be protective of their injuries and possibly hurt you as you try to provide help. Keep the following in mind when you're attempting to transport your pet to us:

  • Call us immediately at (630) 960-2900 for specific instructions related to your pet's injury.
  • If available, use a muzzle to protect yourself from getting bitten.
  • Wearing thick gloves and long sleeves or using a thick towel may also help protect you.
  • If your pet cannot walk, use a crate, blanket, or board to keep them still during transport.
  • If your pet can walk but is weak, provide support under the chest or hindquarters using a large towel as a sling.
  • Cover bleeding with an absorbent material such as gauze, clean cloths, or paper towels and apply firm pressure.

 

Menu
Font Resize